According to Taste Tomorrow, the trends in the bakery and pastry industry can be summarized in three major aspects: consumers are looking for freshness, they are turning to premium artisanal products, and they are seeking the comfort of authentic traditional recipes.
In 2022, one of the most significant challenges for the bakery industry has been the increase in the price and availability of certain ingredients, such as sunflower oil and wheat. In fact, many sectors of the food industry are affected by the rising cost of ingredients as well as energy resources.
The latest survey conducted by Taste Tomorrow shows that, for today’s consumers, one of the top concerns is the rising cost of food. In order to save money, people are changing their shopping habits, which has a major impact on all sectors of the food industry, including the bakery sector, whether it be artisanal or industrial production.
Trends to Watch
Despite global concerns about rising prices, basic foods such as bakery products are less affected, with 23% of global consumers continuing to buy premium bakery specialties and only 12% trying to save money on bakery products.
48% of consumers interviewed by Taste Tomorrow in April 2022 stated that they do not buy the cheapest bread, but continue to buy quality products in which they have confidence. This trend is expected to continue in 2023, and it is important for bakery industry manufacturers to focus on the superior quality of the products they offer in the market.
Below, discover the aspects that will have a significant impact on the bakery industry in 2023.
- Trusted Artisanal Product: The popularity of artisanal products is continually increasing, and bakery products made according to traditional recipes are at the top of online sales. Consumers are seeking comfort and indulgence through products that pay homage to traditional methods and ingredients.
- Premium Packaging: In addition to the quality of the products themselves, the packaging is also becoming increasingly important to consumers. Premium packaging that reflects the quality of the product and its artisanal origins can help differentiate a brand from its competitors.
- Authentic Recipes: Consumers are increasingly looking for authentic, traditional recipes that offer a sense of comfort and familiarity. This trend is particularly strong in the bakery and pastry industry, where consumers are seeking out products that use traditional methods and ingredients.
- Health and Wellness: Consumers are becoming more health-conscious, and they are looking for healthier options in the bakery and pastry industry as well. This includes products made with whole grains, natural sweeteners, and healthier ingredients.
- Convenience and Sustainability: Convenience is a key factor for many consumers, and the bakery and pastry industry is no exception. Products that are easy to prepare and consume on the go are becoming increasingly popular. Additionally, sustainability is becoming an important consideration for many consumers, and brands that prioritize sustainability in their production and packaging are more likely to attract and retain customers.
- Personalization: Consumers are increasingly looking for products that are tailored to their individual needs and preferences. In the bakery and pastry industry, this trend can include custom-made products or products that are customizable in terms of ingredients or flavors.
- Plant-Based Options: As more and more consumers are adopting plant-based diets, there is an increasing demand for plant-based options in the bakery and pastry industry. This includes products made with plant-based proteins, such as legumes and grains, as well as plant-based alternatives to dairy and eggs.
- Ethnic and Regional Flavors: Consumers are becoming more adventurous in their food choices, and they are seeking out ethnic and regional flavors in the bakery and pastry industry. This includes products inspired by cuisines from around the world, as well as products that showcase traditional flavors and ingredients from specific regions.
- Social Media and Online Presence: Social media and online platforms are increasingly important for the bakery and pastry industry, as they provide a way for brands to connect with consumers and showcase their products. Brands that have a strong online presence and engage with customers through social media are more likely to attract and retain customers.
- Collaboration and Innovation: Collaboration and innovation are key factors in the bakery and pastry industry, as they can help brands stay ahead of the competition and offer unique, differentiated products. This can include partnerships with other companies or organizations, as well as the incorporation of new technologies and ingredients into product development.